St. Gregory, 1677 W. Bryn Mawr Ave., was the Archdiocese of Chicago's first co-ed high school. This marks the school's 75th year, but it has been plagued by declining enrollment and large deficits. In recent years, the school, which prides itself on its diverse student body, has made several moves toward survival, renting out part of its building and focusing on a technology-heavy curriculum.
But in recent years, St. Gregory's had fewer than 150 students, and in some years, the Archdiocese subsidized its operations to the tune of more than $500,000.
In 2000, it had more than 300 students, down from about 500 in the mid-1980s. It dated from an era in which many parishes had their own high schools, when the Archdiocese operated almost 100 high schools, down to fewer than 40 today.
A spokesman for the Archdiocese was not immediately available for comment. The closing of St. Gregory will leave no Catholic high schools east of the Edens Expressway between St. Benedict High School, 3900 N. Leavitt Ave., and Regina Dominican High School, 701 Locust Road, Wilmette.
Students from St. Gregory are being given preference at Holy Trinity High School, 1443 W. Division St. in the Noble Square neighborhood on the Near Northwest Side, where they will pay essentially the same tuition as at St. Gregory, or will receive a $1,000 subsidy to attend another Catholic high school. Holy Trinity is about 6 miles south of St. Gregory.