Two men were shot dead and at least five others wounded in several separate overnight shootings across the South Side, Chicago police said.
In the latest deadly shooting, police said that two bicycle-riding gunmen opened fire on a 27-year-old man sitting with friends in front of a home in the 5700 block of South Hermitage Avenue in the West Englewood neighborhood at about 3:45 a.m.
The victim, Damien Richardson of the 5800 block of South Wood Street was pronounced dead at 4:42 a.m. He suffered gunshot wounds to the chest and arm and was dead at the scene, according to police and the Cook County medical examiner's office.
The gunmen fled on their bikes and remained at-large, police said.Nearly three hours earlier, police found a 41-year-old man lying unresponsive in the 6800 block of South Prairie Avenue in the Park Manor neighborhood, police said. At least one witness heard gunshots, but didn't see the shooter, police said.
The victim, Levertis Williams, of the Prairie Avenue address, was pronounced dead at the scene, according to a spokeswoman with the medical examiner's office.
These two shootings, coupled with a late-night shooting where police wounded a suspected killer in the West Woodlawn neighborhood could push the city's homicide number to 17 for this month.
In other overnight shootings:
- A 32-year-old man was wounded in the right buttock and leg in the 2800 block of South Homan Avenue just before 10 p.m. Wednesday. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital for treatment.
- A man, 29, was shot in the chest and arm as he sat in a vehicle in the 6900 block of South Dorchester Avenue at 11:30 p.m. He drove himself to Jackson Park Hospital and Medical Center, where his condition had stabilized.
- A 20-year-old man was walking with a friend in the 2400 block of West 72nd Street in the Marquette Park neighborhood when a gunman approached and shot the man in the leg just before 3 a.m., police said. He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn in good condition.
- A 27-year-old woman was walking in the 1000 block of West 115th Street at about 3:45 a.m. when she heard a gunshot and felt pain in her leg, police said. She was taken to Christ Medical Center in "stable" condition.
- A 23-year-old man was wounded after several men forced their way into his home in the 9300 block of South Paxton Avenue at about 5:50 a.m. He was taken to Advocate Trinity Hospital in good condition.