Funeral arrangements have been announced for the Rev. Andrew Greeley, the outspoken Chicago priest, novelist and sociologist who died this week at age 85.
A wake for the Rev. Greeley is scheduled for 3 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Christ the King Catholic Church, 9235 S. Hamilton Ave.
Visitation is scheduled for 9:30 a.m. to noon, Wednesday, with a funeral Mass following at noon, also at Christ the King.
- Rev. Andrew Greeley through the years
- Andrew Greeley, Chicago priest and best-selling novelist, dies at 85
- Andrew Greeley dead: Priest, author, critic was 85
- Andrew Greeley
- John Hancock Center
- Heart Disease
- 875 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
- 9235 South Hamilton Avenue, Chicago, IL 60643, USA
Greeley had been an assistant pastor at Christ the King early in his priesthood and has long been associated with the parish.
Greeley died Wednesday night at his home at the John Hancock Center, several years after fracturing his skull in a fall at the Rosemont Blue Line "L" stop. An autopsy by the Cook County medical examiner's office found that he died from heart disease, with a contributing factor being the accidental head injuries he suffered in the fall.