A car with a 1-year-old child in the back seat was stolen from a gas station parking lot on the West Side, but the toddler was found safe minutes later, authorities said.
The mother had left the car running in the 3100 block of West Chicago Avenue as she ducked into the gas station about 9:25 p.m. Wednesday, police said. Officers found the car, a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am, around the corner in the 600 block of North Kedzie Avenue a few minutes later.
The child was fine and taken to Norwegian American Hospital as a precaution, Police News Affairs Officer Amina Greer said.
- Video: 1-year-old found safe after being taken in stolen car
- Video: Chicago crime overnight report (Thursday, April 25, 2013)
- More Humboldt Park crime »
- Tribune photo illustration
- Downstream Oil and Gas Activities
- 3100 West Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
- 600 North Kedzie Avenue, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
The child’s mother, 20, saw the car being stolen as she left the gas station and knows the robber “from the neighborhood,” police said.
No one was in custody.