1. "A Perfect Life" by Danielle Steel (Delacorte, $28). News anchor Blaise McCarthy's perfect world is turned upside down when her blind daughter returns home from boarding school. Last week: 1
3. "The Heist" by Daniel Silva (Harper, $27.99). Art restorer Gabriel Allon tries to find a stolen masterpiece. Last week: 4
4. "Big Little Lies" by Liane Moriarty (Amy Einhorn, $26.95). Three mothers with children at the same school find their lives unexpectedly intertwined. Last week: —
5. "Invisible" by James Patterson and David Ellis (Little, Brown, $28). An FBI researcher on leave thinks hundreds of murders, rapes and kidnappings are connected, but no one believes her. Last week: —
1. "America" by Dinesh D'Souza (Regnery, $29.99). The latest book from the conservative writer and filmmaker. Last week: 1
2. "One Nation" by Ben Carson, M.D., with Candy Carson (Sentinel, $25.95). The neurosurgeon-turned-conservative commentator gives his opinions about the country's future. Last week: 2
3. "The First Family Detail" by Ronald Kessler (Crown Forum, $26). The author relates observations allegedly made by members of the secret service assigned to protect high-level members of the U.S. government. Last week: —
4. "In the Kingdom of Ice" by Hampton Sides (Doubleday, $28.95). A recounting of the American expedition to reach the North Pole that was launched in 1879. Last week: —
5. "Hard Choices" by Hillary Rodham Clinton (Simon & Schuster, $35). Clinton offers an account of her four years as U.S. secretary of state. Last week: 5
— Publishers Weekly
1. "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand (Random House: $27). The story of Louis Zamperini, a World War II bombardier, POW and Olympic runner.
2. The Boys in the Boat" by Daniel James Brown (Penguin, $17). The story of the University of Washington's eight-oar crew's quest for Olympic gold.
3. "All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr (Scribner, $27). A blind French girl and a German teenager meet in occupied France during World War II.
4. "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn (Crown, $25). When Amy goes missing on her fifth wedding anniversary, all fingers point to her husband, Nick.
5. "Everything I Need to Know I Learned From a Little Golden Book" by Diane E. Muldrow (Little Golden, $9.99). The children's books editor offers tips for adults on how to get the most out of life.
For the week ending Aug. 9.
Participating bookstores: Barbara's Bookstores (Chicago), Anderson's Bookshop (Naperville), The Book Stall at Chestnut Court (Winnetka), The Book Table (Oak Park), The Bookstore (Glen Ellyn), Women & Children First Bookstore (Chicago), The Book Bin (Northbrook).