Veteran Chicago television anchor Mark Suppelsa is signing off after 25 years as a local news mainstay and retiring to rural Montana.
The face of WGN-Ch. 9's evening news for nearly 10 years, Suppelsa confirmed Friday that he is leaving the station, Chicago and his TV news career behind when his contract is up at the end of the year.
"I'm ready to unplug, I really am," said Suppelsa, 55.
Suppelsa announced his retirement Thursday afternoon in an email to his WGN colleagues. The plan to walk away from the anchorman's role on his terms had been in the works for a long time, he said.
"You don't walk away from total employment in a month or two,"...