ARLINGTON, Texas ——After several months of trying to play through a torn labrum in his right shoulder, Orioles outfielder Luke Scott finally shut things down with hopes he can return in a few weeks after rest and rehabilitation.
The alternative is season-ending surgery for Scott, the club's 2010 Most Valuable Oriole who has struggled this year.
- Orioles Insider
- Baseball players on the move this offseason
- Major League Baseball's 2014 winter meetings
- 36th annual OriolesREACH Holiday Party for Kids
- Peter Schmuck's final Orioles player grades for the 2014 season
- Baseball free-agent pitchers this offseason
See more photos »
- Baltimore Orioles
- American League
See more topics »
Rangers Ballpark, 1000 Ballpark Way, Arlington, TX 76011, USA
Scott was placed on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday afternoon when the Orioles purchased the contract of Tuesday's starter, right-hander Mitch Atkins, from Triple-A Norfolk. He will leave the team Thursday and have an MRA — an MRI with dye injected into the shoulder —Friday in Baltimore.
Once club orthopedist Dr. John Wilckens reviews the MRA, Scott will decide whether to rest and rehab with hopes of returning shortly after the All-Star break or have surgery, which would require at least four months of recovery.
"We all know what Luke is capable of doing when he is right," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. "I'm not going to say it is tough on me because, knowing Luke and how much he wants to contribute to this team and how frustrated he gets with it, I am frustrated for him more than anything."
A previous MRI showed the tear and Scott underwent a cortisone shot in June that alleviated the pain. But he aggravated the injury — and also bruised his right knee — when he ran into the left-field wall making a homer-saving catch June 28 at Camden Yards.
"Since I hit the wall, it started to bother me some more. It's just not working the way I want," Scott said. "So the plan is I've got a MRA. … I will be able to see if it has stayed the same, if it has progressed or regressed, and then we'll make the necessary decisions and steps after that."
The upbeat Scott acknowledged that the possibility of missing the rest of the season is "very frustrating."
"The little boy in me still has dreams," Scott said. "I want to do well, and I want to see good things come to the city of Baltimore and be a part of turning around this organization and getting this organization back to the playoffs. That's the little boy in me speaking."
Scott, 33, who is making $6.4 million this season, has one more year of arbitration eligibility remaining before free agency. He has talked previously about his desire for a long-term extension, but it's possible the Orioles will not tender him a contract this offseason — especially if his playing future is in question.
"There's no question I'll come through this, in my mind," Scott said. "I'm not going to think about [his Orioles future] right now. Right now, I'm just focused on getting this thing healthy and doing the best I can."
Reimold, Pie to share left
Showalter wouldn't reveal his specific plans for left field now that Scott will be on the DL, but the benefactors will be right-handed-hitting Nolan Reimold and lefty-swinging Felix Pie.
"I wouldn't commit to something straight [platoonwise]," Showalter said. "Let's just see how it goes. We got a string here where we got left, right, left, right, left, right. I will try to get them both some at-bats."
Reimold, who was hitting .255 in 23 games heading into Tuesday, had been limited to the lesser half of a lefty-righty platoon. Pie's playing time was severely limited with Scott healthy. Heading into Tuesday, Pie had batted .239 in 63 games and had just 35 at-bats in June.
Reimold started Monday and Tuesday, and Pie was expected to start Wednesday against Texas Rangers right-hander Alexi Ogando.
"I wouldn't be surprised if Pie plays [Wednesday]," Showalter said. "But you know if Nolan gets it going, I might ride with him, so I'm going to let him get some consistent at-bats, too."
Matusz knocked around