Four young men, including a Kent Island firefighter, were killed in a head-on car crash on Kent Island Wednesday afternoon, the Queen Anne's County sheriff's office said.
Firefighter medics who rushed to the scene recognized the fireman who was killed, officials said. Eli Dabich, 73, a chemistry professor at the Naval Academy, was injured and flown to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where a spokeswoman said he was in serious condition as of Thursday afternoon.
All of the teenagers killed were from Kent Island. They were identified as Cory Passagno, 18; Michael John Ringenbach, 19; Harrison Rhodes Smith, 18; and Tyler Elzey, whom deputies said was 18 or 19. They were driving a Volkswagen, and Dabich was driving a Ford Focus, deputies said.
- Baltimore officer charged with assaulting his wife and her boyfriend
- Grandmother of child who died of methadone intoxication sentenced to 40 years
- Man rescued after building collapse near Camden Yards
- Maryland mugshots in the news [Pictures]
- R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center
- United States Naval Academy
- Queen Anne (Prince George's, Maryland)
See more topics »
Cox Neck Road & Jones Road, 4, Kent Island, MD 21619, USA
The crash happened on Cox Neck Road near the intersection of Jones Road about 4:30 p.m., sheriff's deputies said.
The sheriff's office said its early investigation showed speed by the Volkswagen was a possible factor in the crash.