Four young men, including a Kent Island firefighter, were killed in a head-on car crash on Kent Island Wednesday afternoon, the Queen Anne's County sheriff's office said.
Firefighter medics who rushed to the scene recognized the fireman who was killed, officials said. Eli Dabich, 73, a chemistry professor at the Naval Academy, was injured and flown to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where a spokeswoman said he was in serious condition as of Thursday afternoon.
All of the teenagers killed were from Kent Island. They were identified as Cory Passagno, 18; Michael John Ringenbach, 19; Harrison Rhodes Smith, 18; and Tyler Elzey, whom deputies said was 18 or 19. They were driving a Volkswagen, and Dabich was driving a Ford Focus, deputies said.
- Two men charged in county homicide
- Knife-wielding man at child's birthday party killed by Baltimore Police
- Man dies after shooting at Baltimore County motel
- Police car vandalized in Baltimore
- Maryland mugshots in the news
- Maryland State Police
- R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center
- United States Naval Academy
Cox Neck Road & Jones Road, 4, Kent Island, MD 21619, USA
The crash happened on Cox Neck Road near the intersection of Jones Road about 4:30 p.m., sheriff's deputies said.
The sheriff's office said its early investigation showed speed by the Volkswagen was a possible factor in the crash.