Police responded Dalton Road in Parkville and found a woman dead from a single gunshot wound. Detectives were going door-to-door in the neighborhood working to determine a motive for the shooting. (Amy Davis/Baltimore Sun video)

Baltimore County police charged the husband of a Parkville woman killed Tuesday with first degree murder Wednesday. Officers tracked Cory Shirell Bowman to a Baltimore apartment late Wednesday and found a man inside dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Victoria Vernetta Glover, 28, was shot in front of her home while loading her 3-year-old son into a car. Cpl. John Wachter, a Baltimore County police spokesman, said police are working to confirm whether Bowman was the dead man found inside a residence in the Perkins Homes housing project in Southeast Baltimore.

As of Thursday afternoon, police were still awaiting results from an autopsy.

Police said Thursday that they received a warrant Wednesday afternoon for Bowman's arrest in Glover's killing after they were "able to link Bowman to the shotgun used in the crime and learned that he made statements after the murder confessing to the crime."

They also received a warrant for the apartment of one of Bowman's acquaintances in the 1500 block of May Court in Baltimore, which was where Baltimore Police tactical officers found the dead man Wednesday night.

Bowman's acquaintance had exited the home prior to police arrival, police said.

The dead man was alone in the apartment when he was found in an upstairs bathroom. Police believe the man used the same shotgun that was used to kill Glover to kill himself, police said.

Bowman, 38, was also being sought by police on a warrant in a case in which he is accused of attacking Glover and threatening her with a knife.

Glover was in the midst of divorcing Bowman, whom she married in May 2012, according to court records. Police described Bowman and Glover as "estranged."

She had a protective order against him, signed by a judge in the days following the alleged February assault, and he was not allowed to contact her or go to their home in the 1300 block of Dalton Road in Parkville as a condition of his bail in the case.

Bowman failed to appear in court Tuesday for a scheduled trial in the assault case. His public defender, Phillip Heller, could not be reached for comment.

Glover was pronounced dead on the street in front of the Dalton Road home after police responded to reports of gunfire about 8:45 a.m. She had been shot at least once with a shotgun, according to police.

Shell casings were collected from the ground around the car, and neighbors told police they saw a vehicle speed away after the gunfire.

Bowman had been due in Baltimore County Circuit Court at 9:15 a.m. to face second-degree assault and weapons charges in the February arrest.

On Feb. 10, Glover called 911 and said Bowman had threatened her with a knife and that she and her children were hiding in a bathroom, according to the police report. When officers arrived, they found Glover with "swelling to the left side of her face, bruising to her right forearm and fingernail marks on the underside of her right forearm," according the report.

She told police Bowman had attacked her as she held her baby after she asked him to get up to go to church. She said he had threatened her with a knife.

Bowman, described in court records as a truck driver, was arrested shortly after in a nearby alley. He had a knife matching his wife's description of the one she said he pulled on her, the report said.

Under the protective order, effective through February 2014, he was also required to stay away from other places frequented by Glover or her family, including a Parkville day care, two public schools, the Essex campus of the Community College of Baltimore County and the University of Maryland St. Joseph Medical Center campus, where Glover worked in a physician's office.

Dr. Timothy Herlihy, an internal medicine specialist, said Glover, a mother of three, had been an administrative medical assistant in the front office of his practice for about a year and a half, and was always cheerful and competent.

"It's a stressful job with a lot of sick, cranky people sometimes, and I'll tell you, she was always a joy," Herlihy said. "You could have five, six phone lines ringing, and she never got flustered."