Darryl Martin Anderson

Darryl Martin Anderson is wanted for a murder that occurred at Tee-Bee's Bar in Precinct 8/Parkville. (Handout photo / October 18, 2012)

Tipped that Darryl Martin Anderson's year on the run had taken him to Birmingham, Ala., U.S. Marshals set up outside an apartment complex Wednesday morning and watched as his car and its Maryland plates backed into a parking space and an unknown man walked inside.

Marshals could see people inside the apartment peeking out through the blinds at them as they prepared to rush in. A woman emerged and said Anderson wasn't inside.

But within moments, the 25-year-old man Baltimore police had dubbed "Public Enemy No. 1" appeared with his hands up. After Anderson emerged, with his distinctive dreadlocks and forehead tattoos, police say they found a .40-caliber Glock and two bulletproof vests inside.

Maryland U.S. Marshal Johnny Hughes declared in a statement that the suspect "never stood a chance."

It took authorities a year to find Anderson, who is accused of committing several violent crimes while on the run.

Police have accused him in a killing in Parkville in July 2012. They say he opened fire on a group of women June 27 in Northeast Baltimore, killing one and critically injuring another. They say he forced his way into a Northeast Baltimore home three days later, shooting two men and injuring a third during a robbery.

Police in Baltimore County were also exploring possible links between Anderson and a home invasion in Rossville that occurred Monday morning.

Anderson has been charged in the three shootings. He was being held at a detention facility in Birmingham pending extradition. He has no current attorney listed in online court records, and attempts to reach family at his last known address in Belair-Edison were not successful.

Anderson's criminal history includes four prior convictions, including one for knocking out a woman's front teeth after robbing her corner store and another for stabbing a man six times in a club.

Maryland Deputy U.S. Marshal David Lutz described Anderson as a brazen fugitive. With local authorities plastering his image on news broadcasts and social media, he didn't alter his appearance. Instead, Lutz said, investigators were told he walked around Baltimore neighborhoods brandishing a handgun with his shirt off, revealing the "Thoroughbred" tattoo across the top of his chest.

Lutz said Anderson kept at least two guns on him at all times, according to accounts gathered by investigators, and had said he "would rather die than go back to prison."

The hunt for Anderson intensified as police labeled him their top priority. Baltimore Police Commissioner Anthony W. Batts and his security detail checked addresses and vacant homes over the weekend.

On Tuesday afternoon, dispatchers told officers Anderson could be in the area of Greenmount and North avenues in East Baltimore.

Lutz wouldn't discuss how Baltimore investigators tracked Anderson.

"We do a lot of gumshoe, old-school police work until we get our bad guy," he said.

Anderson had apparently been in Alabama for "some time," though the exact duration was unclear. U.S. Marshals in Birmingham got involved in the case earlier this week, according to Alabama's U.S. Marshal, Marty Keely.

Keely said the marshal service had an "overwhelming presence" outside the apartment.

"Once the individuals looked out the window, they could quickly see there was nowhere to go," he said.

Batts told reporters this week that Anderson was "an enforcer or a hit man for the Black Guerrilla Family," the powerful gang police have linked to the city's recent violence. Lutz said investigators learned Anderson had a falling out with a segment of the gang, however, and his status was unclear.

Lutz said Anderson was aided in his escape by a "network of associates" who were hiding him and supplying him with money.