A 2-year-old boy is in critical condition after the lawn mower he was riding on with his grandfather in Westminster overturned into a creek Sunday morning, according to the Carroll County Sheriff's Office.
Deputies said the man and his grandson were cutting grass on the riding lawn mower in the 600 block of Jasontown Road shortly before noon when the mower crossed an embankment next to a stream and overturned, briefly trapping the child in the water until the grandfather could free him.
Lt. Robert Cromwell of the sheriff's office said the child's injuries were from inhaling water and from the tractor overturning onto him, but the boy was not injured by the mower's blades.
- Baltimore officer charged with assaulting his wife and her boyfriend
- Grandmother of child who died of methadone intoxication sentenced to 40 years
- Man rescued after building collapse near Camden Yards
- Maryland mugshots in the news [Pictures]
- Westminster (Carroll, Maryland)
600 Jasontown Road, Westminster, MD 21158, USA
The child had to be resuscitated by first responders and was in critical condition at Johns Hopkins Children's Hospital on Sunday evening.
The grandfather, who was not as badly injured, was treated at the scene by paramedics and taken to the Carroll Hospital Center in Westminster.