The school system received an anonymous call on its hotline around 3 p.m. Monday — about an hour after school dismissal — alerting officials to a possible sexual assault earlier in the day, police and school officials said. The school system reported the call to the police, said Maneka Monk, schools spokeswoman.
The male student, whom the girl told police she knew, "is not in school," Monk said.
Due to confidentiality rules, Monk said she could not discuss what, if any, action may have been taken against him. Police said only that the school system was preventing contact between the two students while the investigation was underway.
Parents of students at the school were notified Tuesday after school by telephone and email.
"While this incident is still under investigation, proper security and discipline measures have been taken to cooperate with police and to protect all of our students. Please know that appropriate action will be taken in accordance with our Student Code of Conduct once the investigation is complete," says a letter on the school's website from Assistant Principal Gina Davenport, assistant principal.