An off-duty police officer who died following a car crash in Pasadena on Saturday morning had shot himself first, according to the Anne Arundel County Police Department.
Bladensburg Police Officer Brian Johnson, 38, was driving a marked police car on eastbound Route 100 near Catherine Avenue at 9 a.m. on Saturday when it veered across the median and struck an oncoming vehicle, police said.
Johnson was pronounced dead at Baltimore Washington Medical Center in Glen Burnie.
- Bladensburg police officer dies after crash In Anne Arundel
- Neighbors question lack of information after stabbing in Federal Hill
- Man charged with attempted murder in double shooting in Baltimore
- Maryland mugshots in the news [Pictures]
- Pasadena (Anne Arundel, Maryland)
- University of Maryland Medical Center
Police said the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner ruled the cause of Johnson's death was a gunshot wound to his upper body. The medical examiner ruled the manner of death was suicide, according to police.
The driver of the other vehicle was treated by paramedics at the scene, and released.