Groundwater contamination from toxic waste dumped decades ago at a nearby factory in the Severn area has prompted widespread testing of residential wells and put eight homes on bottled water, state officials said.
The eight households have been notified that they have unsafe levels of industrial solvents in their wells, according to the Maryland Department of the Environment, and two other homes have been found to have levels below those deemed to pose health risks.
State officials said they are anxious to complete testing for the chemicals — including possible carcinogens — at dozens of other homes that had yet to respond to requests to check their wells.
"We don't know how long it's been in the wells," James R. Carroll, manager of the state's land restoration program, said of the contamination.
State officials say the source of the contamination is an idled factory three-quarters of a mile away in Hanover, where high levels of the solvents have been found moving underground in the direction of the neighborhood. From the late 1960s until recently, the plant fashioned metal components for electric power transmission lines.
The land has had several owners but now is occupied by Kop-Flex Inc., a subsidiary of Emerson Electric Co., a multinational manufacturer based in St. Louis. The company is supplying bottled water to the eight homes.
Emerson said in a statement that the company is still investigating whether it is responsible for the groundwater contamination.
"If the investigation results demonstrate that the Kop-Flex site is the source of the contamination, Emerson will offer to connect their homes to public water supplies, if available," the company said.
Chris Nidel, a lawyer who said he represents occupants of four of the homes on bottled water, criticized the pace of the state's investigation and the treatment of his clients and others in the neighborhood. After the first off-site well found contamination last year, he said, "it was months before they came back in the neighborhood and started testing wells and told residents in January that they were drinking poison."
Nidel questioned why the company and state regulators are limiting the extension of public water to the eight homes with unsafe wells and not talking about cleaning up the contaminated groundwater.
Long-term exposure to the three chemicals found in the greatest concentrations in the residential wells can cause liver, kidney, lung or nervous system damage, according to a fact sheet prepared by the Department of the Environment.
One of the three, dioxane, is deemed likely to cause cancer, while another, 1,1-Dichloroethene, or DCE, is considered a possible carcinogen. Levels of DCE in the eight homes are up to 32 times the threshold considered safe by federal health authorities.
Residents say they are worried and upset — and still have many questions.
"I've been drinking the water for 50 years," said Phillip Hinkle, 51, who said he grew up and raised his children in three of the homes identified with contaminated wells. "I've been in three of those chemical holes all my life."
Jack Hinkle, his 64-year-old brother, said he has lived in one of the houses with a contaminated well since 1981. He said he's more concerned about his two grandchildren than himself. Though the household now uses bottled water for drinking and cooking, he said they are still bathing and showering in the tainted water and he worries that they might be inhaling toxic chemicals.
Health officials "said taking a bath or shower, as long as it was fast, wasn't real harmful," he said. "You try to get a kid to take a fast shower."
Authorities have known about contamination at the Kop-Flex plant for decades, but did not realize that it was fouling the Severn wells until about four months ago.
Seven of the contaminated wells are on Twin Oaks Road and one on Old Camp Meade Road. Tests of more than 170 wells in the neighborhood have found no hazardous chemicals.
The 25-acre tract was listed by the Environmental Protection Agency in 1988 as a potential candidate for cleanup under the federal Superfund law.
Sampling in the mid-1990s found contamination in the soil and groundwater that was linked to the use of degreasing solvents and the disposal of industrial wastewater into a drainage field on the property from the late 1960s through the mid-1980s. Elevated levels of seven hazardous chemicals were found at the time.