The current congressional hearings concerning the Internal Revenue Service are nothing but a dog and pony show ("At hearing, IRS official mum," May 23). I heard Rep. Elijah Cummings in a TV interview try to blame former President George W. Bush for the IRS activity. Newsflash to Mr. Cummings: Mr. Bush hasn't been president for over four years.
Any investigator knows you don't start the investigation of criminal conduct with the top of the food chain. The investigation starts with the lowest member on the food chain. If they invoke their Fifth Amendment rights, they get immunity because the investigation is really targeting who gave the approval for the criminal conduct.
When all the questions are answered and as the committee continues up the food chain, they will discover who authorized the IRS to target certain groups.
- Tea party groups never wanted tax exemption in the first place [Letter]
- Obama takes no responsibility [Letter]
- Why should the tea party be tax-exempt? [Letter]
- Congress meets Alice in Wonderland
- The Obama administration stabs itself in the back
- Internal Revenue Service
See more topics »
It is then the congressional committee can recommend criminal prosecution.
J. Michael Collins, Reisterstown