A recent letter writer blamed Democrats for blocking a 2005 bill that former President George W. Bush tried to push through Congress regulating Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac ("Sen. Obama helped create the mess President Obama 'inherited,'" June 18).
But in 2005, Republicans had the majority in both the Senate and the House. The bill made it out of committee in the Senate, but it was never brought up for consideration, even though Republicans held a majority in that chamber and controlled the agenda at that time.
Other statements in the letter that don't hold true seem to be exactly the same kinds of statements being spread around by Republican-leaning Super PACs.
- If the economy isn't as rosy as it should be, blame the GOP [Letter]
- Obama has U.S. moving backward [Letter]
- Obama has kept the country moving forward [Letter]
- The GOP plan to attack poverty
- Are you ready to act?
- Paths to the top in America
- Barack Obama
- U.S. Senate
- Republican Party
See more topics »
The dangerous decision to allow unlimited spending by these entities seem be producing exactly the effect they were aiming for.