If you can remember all the way back to the Orioles' Kevin Millar era, you know that I enthusiastically supported the call from the clubhouse for the team’s ownership to relax its highly restrictive facial hair policy. I also grew up in the 60s and 70s, so I generally take a libertarian approach to personal grooming.
That said, I think the whole beard thing has gotten completely out of hand.
It was funny and quirky when Giants closer Brian Wilson let his heavy beard grow out five inches and dyed it jet black a few years ago. And, really, who’s to argue with what has happened since the Red Sox decided to become the Hair Club during spring training? But enough is enough.
- Watch: Millar Bearding Statues
- Facial hair of the World Series
- Orioles statistics, news, transactions and more
- Orioles photo day [pictures]
- 2014 Orioles spring training [Pictures]
- Projecting the Orioles' Opening Day roster
See more photos »
- Sights and sounds from Orioles FanFest [Video]
- Jonny Gomes
- Dustin Pedroia
- Spring Training
See more topics »
Since it is one of those superstitious team unity things, we’re going to have to put up with it at least until the end of the World Series. Then Napoli and Gomes, in particular, will have a decision to make – get a shave or go on tour with ZZ Top.