At the end of July, 26 years ago, Michael Dukakis began campaigning as the official Democratic nominee for president, the last of the Playboy clubs in the United States closed and these songs were the most popular on Billboard's Hot 100 chart.
10. "I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That," Elton John
John's biggest hit of the 1980s eventually hit No. 2 on the charts.
9. "Rush Hour," Jane Wiedlin
Remember when the Go Go's guitarist had a burgeoning solo career? This was her biggest song of that period and was feature, appropriately, in the film "License to Drive."
8. "1-2-3," Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine
I wonder what the Miami Sound Machine is doing right at this moment.
7. "New Sensation," INXS
6. "Sign Your Name," Terence Trent D'Arby
AKA: The song he released before his big hit, "Wishing Well."
5. "Make Me Lose Control," Eric Carmen
Exhibit No. 4567 why Eric Carmen deserves a comeback.
4. "Pour Some Sugar on Me," Def Leppard