The state panel has been unable to pursue complaints against 10 other priests, some of whom have died, Circuit Attorney Jennifer Joyce said Wednesday.
"They are just allegations," Joyce said. "There are no charges. Whether or not they pan out into charges or indictments remains to be seen."
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch first reported the news on its Web site Wednesday.
In a statement, the Archdiocese of St. Louis said that, to its knowledge, none of the allegations had been substantiated.
"While we do not comment on individual cases, we know of no priest of the archdiocese currently serving in a parish or in a ministry with young people of whom there has been a substantiated allegation of sexual abuse of a minor," the statement said.
Joyce's comments preceded the start yesterday of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops meeting in Dallas to work on a national policy to rid the priesthood of abusers.
All the complaints under investigation followed a request by Joyce in March urging victims of sexual abuse to come forward. "When that happened, it was kind of like turning on a faucet," she said. "We got tons of calls."
The plea came as her office charged a defrocked priest who was dismissed from the clergy in 1977 amid sexual abuse allegations. The charges, two counts of sexual misconduct, stem from when he worked as an elementary school counselor.
In other developments:
James McCarthy, 59, resigned Tuesday as pastor of St. Elizabeth's in Shrub Oak and as an auxiliary bishop of the New York Archdiocese after a woman revealed to Cardinal Edward M. Egan that she had had a sexual relationship with McCarthy.
The brothers claim the abuse continued after the allegations were reported to Law, now cardinal of the Archdiocese of Boston, where the national scandal engulfing the church emerged this year.
Donna Morrissey, a spokeswoman for the Boston Archdiocese, said she had not seen the lawsuit and could not comment.
The abuse allegedly took place in the early 1970s when the brothers were about ages 5 to 14.