In what could be his final outing before he is sent to minor league camp, Orioles pitching prospect Kevin Gausman threw two scoreless innings in relief Tuesday against the Red Sox, striking out the first two batters he faced — Mike Napoli and Jarrod Saltalamacchia.
The organization’s No. 2 prospect allowed just one hit — a double to Will Middlebrooks. He struck out three and walked none.
“I’m impressed with the little things, his time to the plate from the stretch,” Showalter said. “When he does get centered up, he comes back out and continues to pound the zone. He won’t get fearful of the barrel of the bat like a lot of guys do who don’t have a lot of experience.”
The Orioles won the game, 8-7, after third baseman Danny Valencia launched a solo homer in the ninth inning off Red Sox reliever Terry Doyle. Boston had scored five runs in the bottom of the eighth inning off relievers Daniel Schlereth and Adam Russell to tie the game at 7.
Kevin Gausman impressive again in relief role vs. Red Sox
- Orioles top Red Sox, 8-7, on Danny Valencia's ninth-inning homer
- Brian Roberts goes road tripping with the Orioles
- After performing well at WBC, Jonathan Schoop likely starting season as Triple-A shortstop
- Orioles in July 2014 [Pictures]
- Orioles in June 2014 [Pictures]
- Orioles in May 2014 [Pictures]
See more photos »
- Boston Red Sox
- Kevin Gausman
- Mike Napoli
See more topics »