Freitas, 24, was selected in the 15th round out of the University of Hawaii by the Washington Nationals in 2010. The right-handed hitter was traded by the Nationals to the Athletics for catcher Kurt Suzuki in August 2012.
Freitas is a .276 hitter with a .377 on-base percentage in four minor league seasons. Last year, he hit a combined .231 with a .306 on-base percentage at Double-A and Triple-A.
- Orioles are one of three clubs with offers out to Grant Balfour, source says
- O's select infielder Michael Almanzar in Rule 5 draft
- As winter meetings end, Orioles still without big move
- Orioles in July 2014 [Pictures]
- Orioles in June 2014 [Pictures]
- Orioles in May 2014 [Pictures]
See more photos »
- Professional Baseball
- Washington Nationals
See more topics »
Although he was not listed by Baseball America as one of Oakland’s Top 30 prospects heading into 2013, Freitas was Baseball America’s 27th prospect in the Nationals’ organization before the 2012 season.
Freitas has some power -- he hit 10 home runs in 2013 and has 34 homers in 373 minor league games -- and a good eye. He is considered a solid defensive catcher and likely will start the season in the minors.