The MPSSAA's classification committee met Thursday to verify class groupings and recommend region alignments for the 2013-14 and 2014-15 school years, the organization announced in a news release.
- Varsity Letters
- High school sports in October-November 2014
- High school sports in August-September 2014 [Pictures]
- High school sports championships [Pictures]
- National Signing Day 2014 [Pictures]
- National Signing Day ceremonies [Pictures]
See more photos »
- Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association
- Digital Harbor High School
For example, City, Digital Harbor, Poly, Centennial, Long Reach and Mount Hebron would all be in Section I of the Class 3A East, while Atholton, Glenelg, Reservoir, River Hill and Wilde Lake would be in Section II of the region.
The sectional concept is already used in several regions, including the Class 2A East in boys and girls soccer, as well as the Class 1A and 2A East in volleyball.
The football playoffs will not be affected by this proposal, according to the MPSSAA.
The MPSSAA classification committee stated that: "extensive regional travel creates loss of instructional time, higher travel costs, and late bus trips on school nights. Given those concerns, the committee has strongly recommended to the MPSSAA Board of Control the implementation of sectional divisions within each region."
Final action on the proposed region alignments, as well as the sectional concept, will be determined at the MPSSAA's Board of Control meeting in December.