The Fielding Bible Award selections, which will be featured in the Annual Bill James Handbook, were announced today, and Orioles catcher Matt Wieters did not repeat as a winner.
The awards, which go to the best defensive player at each position, no matter the league, are based on a mix of scouting and Sabermetric analysis. This year, the one for catcher went to St. Louis Cardinals backstop Yadier Molina, who won from 2007 to 2010, before Wieters picked up his first last year.
The Orioles, as a team, were shut out.
- Orioles to cut ties with Billy Rowell
- 5 questions heading into the Orioles' offseason
- Connolly's Corner Bar: World Series predictions
- Orioles celebrate American League East title [Pictures]
- Orioles in September 2014 [Pictures]
- Top 10 teams in Orioles history [Pictures]
See more photos »
- Matt Wieters
- Yadier Molina
See more topics »
Here’s the list, which was determined by a panel of 10 experts consisting primarily of analysts and writers:
Catcher: Molina; first base, Mark Teixeira, New York Yankees; second base, Darwin Barney, Chicago Cubs; shortstop, Brendan Ryan, Seattle Mariners; third base, Adrian Beltre, Texas Rangers; left field, Alex Gordon, Kansas City Royals; center field, Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels; right field, Jason Heyward, Atlanta Braves; pitcher, Mark Buehrle, Miami Marlins.