Sporadic rains have helped moderate drought conditions that had spread across most of the state, according to the U.S. Drought Monitor.
As of May 22, all of the Baltimore region was considered “abnormally dry” except for southern Anne Arundel County. It had previously been under moderate drought conditions.
Most of the Eastern Shore remains under moderate drought conditions, however.
- Maryland weather photos of 2014 [Pictures]
- Share your Md. weather photos
- Hurricane names of 2014 [Pictures]
- Tornado, severe thunderstorm safety tips [Pictures]
- Top 10 high allergy cities
- Maryland's storms through the years [Pictures]
See more photos »
- Droughts and Heat Waves
- Anne Arundel County
- BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport
Five days out of every seven in May, at least a trace of rain has fallen at BWI Marshall Airport. Nevertheless, rainfall totals are about 6 inches short of normal for the year and 1.5 inches short of normal in May.
Most of the state remains under a drought watch, according to the Maryland Department of the Environment, although that is according to data as of April 30. Expect an update soon.