| Jan 25, 2012
| 7:20 AM
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos
Through Sat. Jan. 28, Real Art Ways, 56 Arbor St., Hartford, (860) 232-1006, realartways.org
There may be an intricate and coherent mythology, a compelling narrative logic, a good long-form plot...
| Feb 1, 2012
| 9:20 AM
If you're optimistic about our chances of tackling the big challenges facing humanity in the 21st century — poverty, overpopulation, the environment, the fair allocation of political power — then you're likely to feel good about the state of...
| Feb 9, 2012
| 12:30 PM
• Thursday: HSO Masterworks Series — Beethoven's Fifth, $35.50-$70.50. 7:30 p.m. Bushnell Center, Hartford; Seedy Underbelly Brothers, Sullys Pub, Hartford.
• Friday: The Big Takeover, $5. 9 p.m. Arch Street Tavern, Hartford; Joe Lewis...
| Jan 3, 2012
| 9:40 AM
If you hadn't heard, Real Art Ways has been hosting a film series called Science on Screen, a gathering for all those interested in the far reaches of science and fiction. Each event begins with a talk led by a different scientist on theories presented in...
| Jan 12, 2012
| 6:35 AM
• Thursday: Stephen Haynes and Joe Morris present Improvisations IV, 7 p.m., $12-$15, Real Art Ways, Hartford; Zach Birdcall Yost, The Benedicks, Mandrake Mechanism and Details, Sully's, Hartford.
• Friday: An Indie Good Time ft. Departures,...
| Jan 9, 2012
| 11:20 AM
Opens Friday, Jan. 13, Real Art Ways, 56 Arbor St., Hartford, realartways.org
The Finnish filmmaker/screenwriter Aki Kaurismaki can be sort of brutal in the way he puts you through a movie.
They're beautiful things, his films. Slow and...
| Jan 19, 2012
Connecticut artist Mark Williams takes toy soldiers, the kind you'd give to your kid, and poses them in playful ways, smothering some with Play-Doh and turning others into carrot-toting bunnies (as in "Untitled (Yellow Bunny)," pictured). It's all about...
| Feb 15, 2012
| 11:40 AM
Head to Creative Cocktail Hour at Real Art Ways (always a good time on its own) for two openings: Alix Lambert's Crime, USA: Hartford, a multidisciplinary art project involving an exhibition, performance and two documentaries (screen shot pictured above)...
| Feb 23, 2012
| 4:45 AM
1) L.A. Comedy Shorts Film Festival, Fri.-Sun. Over 80 comedic short films with screenings, industry panels, and lots of filmmaker networking. $7-$125. Mark Twain House & Museum, 351 Farmington Ave., Hartford. (860) 247-0998.
2) 2012 Academy Award...
| Feb 29, 2012
| 5:51 PM
TicketNetwork announced Wednesday that the company was pulling out of a high-profile economic development program following a tumultuous three days that began when CEO Donald Vaccaro was arrested early Monday.
"TicketNetwork is regrettably withdrawing...
| Mar 5, 2012
| 11:30 AM
As part of its Contemporary Art Series, the Lily Pad brings in paintings by Connecticut artist Gary Jacobs, whose works (including "Jesus Falling," pictured), will hang there throughout the month. Jacobs' quasi-religious art, which over the years has been...