| Apr 2, 2013
| 9:40 AM
1) Latin Fest 2013 — Grupo Niche and Henry Santos of Aventura, Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts, 2132 Hillside Road, Storrs Mansfield, (860) 486-4226. Sat., Apr. 6, 8 p.m. jorgensen.uconn.edu. $25-$40.
2) Film: Tattoo Nation, AMC Loews...
| Mar 11, 2013
| 1:10 PM
1) Lunch and Learn w/ Daniel Bohman, March 15, 12:30-1:30 p.m., free, 100 Pearl Gallery, 100 Pearl Street, Hartford, (860) 233-1932. Brownbag it to hear Daniel Bohman discuss his current exhibition. Drinks and dessert provided. letsgoarts.org/gallery....
| Nov 5, 2012
| 12:15 PM
Why wait until the last minute to get your act together? Here are six events at least a week out to get you started.
1) Oliver Lake Organ Quartet, Nov. 16, 8 p.m., $5-$15, Polish National Home, 60 Charter Oak Ave., Hartford, (860) 242-6688,...
| Sep 22, 2011
| 9:15 AM
Few string quartets have household-name cachet in this country, and the Kronos is one of them. They've premiered more works by important contemporary composers than any other chamber music group over the course of more than 30 years of playing together...
| Sep 29, 2011
| 6:30 AM
These days, you hardly ever encounter the name Martha Clarke without the words “MacArthur Genius Award Winner” preceding it. A choreographer best known for her multidisciplinary approach to dance, Clarke teamed with playwright Alfred Uhry,...
| Feb 29, 2012
| 7:09 AM
The glass ceiling has in many ways been shattered, but in classical music it remains pretty much intact. Take a look at orchestral musicians who play "female" instruments like the flute. A whole of them have been men, are men.
So it's right for the...
| Mar 13, 2012
| 8:20 AM
Even if you aren't Irish, you want to be able to say you rocked out with an authentic Irish band for St. Patrick's Day. The members of Danú, who hail from Waterford, Dublin, Kerry and Donegal counties, will put on a clinic for anyone not already...
| Mar 16, 2012
| 6:27 AM
In the early 1990s, Béla Fleck and the Flecktones burst upon the contemporary jazz world like a mobile attack unit from Mars.
Bassist Victor Wooten reinvented his instrument while doing back flips and tossing it around his neck. His brother, drummer...
| Mar 22, 2012
| 10:00 AM
1) Allan Holdsworth Band, $30-$45. Fri., 8 p.m. Infinity Music Hall & Bistro, Norfolk.
2) Ron Carter Trio, $10-$30. Fri., 8 p.m. Morse Recital Hall in Sprague Memorial Hall, New Haven.
3) Larry Ochs's Khinoua, $12-$18. Fri., 8:30 p.m., 10 p.m. Firehouse...
| Apr 12, 2012
| 2:56 PM
1) Casona Restaurant
You can hear a Puerto Rican jazz band one week, a touring group from Ecuador the next, says General Manager Jose Gonzales. “Everyone, when the bands are playing, are getting up and dancing or sitting at the bar bouncing to...
| Oct 18, 2011
| 8:05 AM
You hardly ever encounter the name Martha Clarke without the words "MacArthur Genius Award Winner" preceding it. A choreographer best known for her multidisciplinary approach to dance, Clarke teamed with playwright Alfred Uhry (he wrote the Atlanta...