| Apr 8, 2013
| 8:05 AM
Noted rapper and "go-go" beat specialist Wale will be appearing at the Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts in Storrs on April 11. The artist — who gained national fame in 2007 with his mixtapes 100 Miles and Running and The Mixtape About...
| Apr 15, 2013
| 8:00 AM
If hip, eclectic string quartets are your thing, go hear the four young Parisians of the Ebène Quartet, who'll do Mozart, Mendelssohn and Tchaikovsky this Friday at the Jorgensen Center. It's tough to stand out among the throngs of hotshot chamber players...
| Apr 2, 2013
| 9:40 AM
1) Latin Fest 2013 — Grupo Niche and Henry Santos of Aventura, Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts, 2132 Hillside Road, Storrs Mansfield, (860) 486-4226. Sat., Apr. 6, 8 p.m. jorgensen.uconn.edu. $25-$40.
2) Film: Tattoo Nation, AMC Loews...
| Nov 26, 2012
| 8:15 AM
There's a Jake Shimabukuro of any instrument. You could say Jimi Hendrix was the Jake Shimabukuro of the electric guitar, or that Bonzo was Led Zep's resident Shimabukuro behind the skins. You wouldn't be way off the mark to suggest Winston Churchill...
| Nov 12, 2012
| 7:30 AM
Why wait until the last minute to get your act together? Here are five events at least a week out to get you started.
1) Knuckleball!, Nov. 23-29, Real Art Ways, 56 Arbor St., Hartford, realartways.org.
2) Jake Shimabukuro, Nov. 29, 7:30 p.m., $34,...
| Nov 19, 2012
| 12:10 PM
It's taken Kenan Thompson (pictured) seven years to become a breakout performer on Saturday Night Live. But over the years, few cast members have been as consistently funny, their recurring characters as memorable, or their short time in the spotlight...
| Oct 8, 2012
| 9:45 AM
Guitarist Pat Metheny is at the top of his game. For 30 years straight, he's been touring, playing well over a hundred shows a year. Some of his recent projects, like his automated orchestra adventure, weren't popular with critics, perhaps. But here's a...
| Oct 8, 2012
| 12:20 PM
Why wait until the last minute to get your act together? Here are six events at least a week out to get you started.
1) Halloween Nights, Oct. 13, 20 & 27, Lions Fairgrounds, Hebron, ctfaire.com/fear.
2) Staff Benda Bilili, Oct. 19, 8 p.m., $34,...
| Oct 23, 2012
| 11:40 AM
Some comedians never make the transition to movie acting, nor do they need to. Between highly rated Comedy Central specials, CD, DVD and book sales and sold-out shows, Ron "Tater Salad" White has remained one of the most successful comedians on the planet...
| Mar 11, 2013
| 1:10 PM
1) Lunch and Learn w/ Daniel Bohman, March 15, 12:30-1:30 p.m., free, 100 Pearl Gallery, 100 Pearl Street, Hartford, (860) 233-1932. Brownbag it to hear Daniel Bohman discuss his current exhibition. Drinks and dessert provided. letsgoarts.org/gallery....
| Feb 25, 2013
| 9:25 AM
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's infamous children's tale The Little Prince meets the puppets (pictured), live actors and musicians of Pennsylvania's Bristol Riverside Theatre, as they swing through Storrs on March 3. The puppets were designed by Emmy recipient...