| Mar 11, 2013
| 1:10 PM
1) Lunch and Learn w/ Daniel Bohman, March 15, 12:30-1:30 p.m., free, 100 Pearl Gallery, 100 Pearl Street, Hartford, (860) 233-1932. Brownbag it to hear Daniel Bohman discuss his current exhibition. Drinks and dessert provided. letsgoarts.org/gallery....
| Apr 22, 2013
| 9:40 AM
At only 28 years of age, jazz bassist and singer Esperanza Spalding already has a Grammy under her belt, after winning for Best New Artist in 2011. It was a huge coup for the jazz world, who've claimed her as one of her own. But she's also a crossover...
| Apr 8, 2013
| 8:05 AM
Noted rapper and "go-go" beat specialist Wale will be appearing at the Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts in Storrs on April 11. The artist — who gained national fame in 2007 with his mixtapes 100 Miles and Running and The Mixtape About...
| Apr 15, 2013
| 8:00 AM
If hip, eclectic string quartets are your thing, go hear the four young Parisians of the Ebène Quartet, who'll do Mozart, Mendelssohn and Tchaikovsky this Friday at the Jorgensen Center. It's tough to stand out among the throngs of hotshot chamber players...
| Apr 2, 2013
| 9:40 AM
1) Latin Fest 2013 — Grupo Niche and Henry Santos of Aventura, Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts, 2132 Hillside Road, Storrs Mansfield, (860) 486-4226. Sat., Apr. 6, 8 p.m. jorgensen.uconn.edu. $25-$40.
2) Film: Tattoo Nation, AMC Loews...
| Mar 13, 2012
| 8:20 AM
Even if you aren't Irish, you want to be able to say you rocked out with an authentic Irish band for St. Patrick's Day. The members of Danú, who hail from Waterford, Dublin, Kerry and Donegal counties, will put on a clinic for anyone not already...
| Mar 16, 2012
| 6:27 AM
In the early 1990s, Béla Fleck and the Flecktones burst upon the contemporary jazz world like a mobile attack unit from Mars.
Bassist Victor Wooten reinvented his instrument while doing back flips and tossing it around his neck. His brother, drummer...
| Mar 22, 2012
| 10:00 AM
1) Allan Holdsworth Band, $30-$45. Fri., 8 p.m. Infinity Music Hall & Bistro, Norfolk.
2) Ron Carter Trio, $10-$30. Fri., 8 p.m. Morse Recital Hall in Sprague Memorial Hall, New Haven.
3) Larry Ochs's Khinoua, $12-$18. Fri., 8:30 p.m., 10 p.m. Firehouse...
| Apr 12, 2012
| 2:56 PM
1) Casona Restaurant
You can hear a Puerto Rican jazz band one week, a touring group from Ecuador the next, says General Manager Jose Gonzales. “Everyone, when the bands are playing, are getting up and dancing or sitting at the bar bouncing to...
| Oct 8, 2012
| 9:45 AM
Guitarist Pat Metheny is at the top of his game. For 30 years straight, he's been touring, playing well over a hundred shows a year. Some of his recent projects, like his automated orchestra adventure, weren't popular with critics, perhaps. But here's a...
| Oct 8, 2012
| 12:20 PM
Why wait until the last minute to get your act together? Here are six events at least a week out to get you started.
1) Halloween Nights, Oct. 13, 20 & 27, Lions Fairgrounds, Hebron, ctfaire.com/fear.
2) Staff Benda Bilili, Oct. 19, 8 p.m., $34,...