| Apr 15, 2013
| 7:50 AM
1) Manet: Portraying Life, Cinestudio, 300 Summit St., Hartford, (860) 297-2463. Sun., Apr. 21, 2:30 p.m. cinestudio.org. $7-$9.
2) Film and Music Festival, Crowne Plaza, Cromwell, 100 Berlin Road, Cromwell, (860) 635-2000. Fri., Apr. 19, Through Apr....
| Apr 24, 2013
| 10:21 AM
We often see houses of worship as fixtures on the landscape and in our lives. Yet more than a score of them in Connecticut's urban, suburban and rural areas are for sale or seeking new uses because although pulpits teach that God is eternal, places...
| Oct 11, 2013
| 10:01 AM
Over the years, the term “new music” has taken on a range of loaded meanings. Here’s one more: sandwiches.
On Sunday, Kevin Good, a junior at the Hartt School of Music, performs a marathon solo concert at the Charter Oak Cultural Center...
| Oct 17, 2013
| 7:30 AM
Occupation: Youth Arts Institute Director at Charter Oak Cultural Center
Found at: Kitchen Cafe at Hartford Public Library
How did you get here?
I was a Social Work student at St. Joe's. My first internship was at Immaculate...
| Oct 15, 2013
| 12:25 PM
Over the years, the term "new music" has taken on a range of loaded meanings. Here's one more: sandwiches.
On Sunday, Kevin Good, a junior at the Hartt School of Music, performed a marathon solo concert at the Charter Oak Cultural Center in Hartford. It...
| Oct 28, 2013
| 3:54 PM
There are many deeply troubling things about the murder of Trayvon Martin, not least of which is that, three months after George Zimmerman was found innocent, we seem to have stopped troubling ourselves about it.
You remember what happened. Trayvon, a...
| Apr 5, 2012
| 9:00 AM
1) The Kenn Morr Band, Thurs., 8 p.m., $15, $25. CD release party. Bridge Street Live, Collinsville.
2) Mettapaoozal Ben Golder-Novic Multi Band Event, Thurs., Sullys Pub, Hartford.
3) Lavay Smith & Her Red Hot Skillet Lickers, Thurs., 8 p.m., $25-$38....
| Apr 10, 2012
| 12:39 PM
A mash-up of Dante’s Inferno and life behind bars in a maximum-security women’s prison in Connecticut, the play “To See the Stars” will be presented April 14 at the Charter Oak Cultural Center in Hartford. The production will...
| Apr 12, 2012
| 2:56 PM
1) Casona Restaurant
You can hear a Puerto Rican jazz band one week, a touring group from Ecuador the next, says General Manager Jose Gonzales. “Everyone, when the bands are playing, are getting up and dancing or sitting at the bar bouncing to...
| Dec 1, 2011
| 5:00 AM
• Thursday: Anthony Braxton Small Ensemble, 8 p.m. Wesleyan University, Middletown; David Wax Museum, $12.50-$15. 7 p.m. Iron Horse Music Hall, Northampton; Jimkata (Pictured), Sullys Pub, Hartford; Tim Reynolds & TR3, $18-$20. 9 p.m. Arch Street...
| Jan 30, 2012
| 11:10 AM
Green Man Tattoo Studio, a venerable Hartford-area institution, shares some photographs of their work at the Charter Oak Cultural Center during the month of February, including this body work by Jon Elliot.
Green Man Tattoo: A Tattoo Art Exhibit, Feb....