All new residents of Pennsylvania are required to register their vehicle(s) within 20 days of establishing residency and obtain a Pennsylvania's Driver's License within 60 days. Additionally, new residents must surrender their out-of-state driver's license before a new product will be issued. Valid identification and residency documents must be provided along with a check or money order for the correct amount. Information for new residents and other driver and vehicle services information, including a list of fees and forms, is available on PENNDOT's Web site,, or at any driver's license center. Customers can also call PENNDOT at 1-800-932-4600 for more information. Call 717-391-6190 if located outside the state. PENNDOT's Driver License Center is located at 1710 Hoover Ave. in Allentown. Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday. New drivers - applicants must be at least 16 years of age to apply for a PA Driver's License or Learner's Permit; must appear in person at the driver license center; complete the necessary forms that are provided at the center; submit a completed physician's report of examination; and take a vision screening and knowledge test. Driver's tests can be scheduled online through the Pa PowerPort at Individuals not having access to the Internet can schedule their driver's test by calling 1-800-932-4600.


Board of County Commissioners, Government Center, Room 408 (Public Hearing Room 111), 17 S. Seventh St., Allentown, 610-782-3050, (FAX) 610-820-3053, Meet second and fourth Wednesday of the month. County executive: Jane R. Ervin; chairman: James L. Kelly; vice chairman: Nicholas E. Englesson; Kurt J. Derr; Percy H. Dougherty; Joan L. Fredericks; Marc J. Grammes; Daniel K. McCarthy; Andy Roman; Sterling H. Raber.

Government Center, Fiscal Office, Room 119, 17 S. Seventh St., Allentown, 610-782-3112. Dog licenses; fishing and hunting licenses; Metro-Plus shared ride tickets; non-profit organizations bingo licenses; pistol permits for hunting and fishing purposes; archery licenses. Also there are 14 agents throughout the county issuing dog licenses.

Real Estate Taxes
Current real estate taxes are billed directly to the homeowner by the county. Homeowners are billed for current school and municipal real estate taxes by their local tax collector or municipality.

Contact individual municipalities or see "Newcomers" section in this book.

School Millage Rates by Borough and Township
Dollar amounts are per $1,000 of assessed property value. These figures are for 2004-2005.
Alburtis $35.31
Allentown City $39.49
Catasauqua $31.66
Coopersburg $36.60
Coplay $30.54
Emmaus $35.31
Fountain Hill $34.59
Hanover $31.66
Heidelberg $36.77