Groups get federal grant money

As part of a federal grant program, the Costa Mesa City Council recently doled out $137,500 to area public service agencies.

The funding was part of a $1.06-million Community Development Block Grant, or CDBG — a program of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development — that Costa Mesa received for the 2013-14 fiscal year.

Up to 15% of the block grant funding can be used to help public service agencies. The remaining 85% will go primarily toward capital improvement projects, as well as code enforcement and administrative costs.

Despite reduced allocations in previous years, Costa Mesa received more money than anticipated, said Mike Linares, the city's CDBG home coordinator. The city also received the money much later than usual, he added.

"That further complicated it. … We were all surprised that we got more," Linares said.

The council approved the following agencies for CDBG funds during its June 18 meeting:

Alzheimer's Family Services Center, $10,000

•Youth Employment Service, $19,000

•Colette's Children's Home, $20,000

•Mercy House, $15,000

•Elwyn California, $10,000

•Community SeniorServ, congregate meals, $12,500

•Community SeniorServ, home-delivered meals, $15,000

•Council on Aging Orange County, $5,000

•Costa Mesa Senior Center Corp., $10,000

•Fair Housing Foundation, $21,000

Mayor Jim Righeimer, who serves on the board for Santa Ana-based Mercy House, recused himself from the vote regarding the agency's funding.

Copyright © 2018, CT Now