So much for a vacation-or so it seemed.

With their bags packed for Birmingham, Joan and John Phegley had their car ready to depart Terre Haute for the deep south just as baseball's short All-Star break was drawing to a close.

A quick ring of the phone put an end to that, sort of.

"He called and said 'Hey, don't come down here," said Joan of her son Josh, who was residing in Alabama at the time. "He sounded really solemn on the phone and he said 'I'm not going to be here.'

"Of course my heart kinda sank."

Not for too much longer.

"He's like 'I'm going to Charlotte,'" said Phegley, raising the pitch of her voice to signify the excitement.

Joan's enthusiasm had little do with the difference in town but rather the promotion to which the city switch would mean. Josh, a catcher in the Chicago White Sox organization, had moved from the Double-A Birmingham Barons to the Triple-A Charlotte Knights.

A step up in level of play and just a step away from the major leagues, after being just two years removed from college baseball.

"It definitely comes as a surpise," said Phegley of his promotion to Charlotte, one that he was happy to deliver to his parents for a change.

You see the last time that Phegley-a Terre Haute native and former catcher for Indiana University-made a call home to his parents for an out-of-the-ordinary call, it was for much different circumstances.

This correspondence came early in the 2010 baseball season and originated from Winston-Salem, where Phegley was a catcher for the high Class-A team.

"He just called and said I'm being admitted into the hospital and I'll let you know what happens," said Joan of the call from Josh, who was diagnosed with an I.T.P. blood disorder.

Its a condition that attacks the platelets and destroys them, leaving less in the body to help the blood clot. It started causing problems early in the 2010 season for the catcher, who saw small bumps become problematic as the season continued.¿

"He'd get hit by a foul ball, and his legs would get black and blue as the bruises grew and grew and wouldn't stop," said Josh's father John of the injuries.

It eventually forced Phegley to the bench for the majority of the 2010 season, one in which he started by moving up from Bristol of the rookie league to Winston-Salem. What was odd about the disorder is that it didn't cause any major physical discomfort, leaving Phegley to just sit on the bench and watch.

"Tried to take it light," said Phegley of waiting to play again. "Its like 'We'll this is what I've got to to deal with now and just try to get through it'. I don't think it every crossed my mind it was career ending or career threatening.

"Didn't really miss much time even though I missed most of last year but it seemed like I picked off right where I left off."

Even in that same season. For the final 18 games Phegley moved up to Double-A Birmingham where he batted .292 with a pair of homers and 13 runs batted in.

During the off season, Phegley had his spleen removed to help his condition and began to help him turn a corner with the disorder.