Five years after reopening, Fishers has claimed the Class 5A football title.

Koby Orris threw four touchdown passes and Taylor Halstead had four sacks to help Fishers defeat Lawrence Central 38-19 in the championship game Saturday at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Fishers closed in 1966, then reopened in 2006 and slowly became a championship-caliber program.

"These guys have been absolutely fantastic," Fishers coach Rick Wimmer said. "We've had a great run of kids for five years and each year, each team has just taken us a little further. For this team, it was their year. It was their time."

Halstead had 5{ tackles for loss in what he called the best game of his career.

"This is untouchable," he said. "There is nothing that can quite describe the way I feel right now."

Orris, who won the Phil N. Eskew Mental Attitude Award, passed for 191 yards and intercepted a pass on defense. Dakota Slaughter had six catches for 90 yards and a score for Fishers (14-1), which won in its first finals appearance.

Lawrence Central quarterback Tre Roberson was under pressure the entire game. The Indiana recruit passed for 198 yards and ran for 74 for the Bears (13-2), but he was sacked seven times.

"It was a great season and it was a great run," he said. "Everybody came in and worked hard every week. We gave it our all, Fishers just came out on top. They came ready and had a great game plan and they deserved it."

Wimmer made slowing Roberson top priority. He entered the game with nearly 4,300 combined rushing and passing yards and 42 touchdowns. The Tigers clogged the running lanes and rarely allowed Roberson to find open field.

"Our defense played just outstanding," Wimmer said. "You can't say we didn't give up some big plays, we did. But we really limited their big plays and I felt we were very physical on defense."

Marciellion Gardner caught five passes for 72 yards and Anthony Shelman added four catches for 55 yards for Lawrence Central, but the Bears didn't look like the powerhouse offensive team that had scored at least 31 points in its past 10 games.

"For them to control the perimeter and stop what we do, our hats go off to them," Lawrence Central coach Jayson West said.

The teams defeated last year's finalists during this year's state tournament. Lawrence Central defeated defending champion and top-ranked Warren Central during sectional play, and Fishers won at No. 2 Carmel during sectionals.

Fishers scored on its opening possession. The Tigers took a chance on fourth-and-9, and Orris found Alphonso Hines in the end zone for a 31-yard touchdown pass that gave Fishers a 7-0 lead four minutes into the game.

Fishers punter R.C. Hauser couldn't field a high snap, and Lawrence Central recovered at the Fishers 15-yard line. On the next play, Roberson threw a strike to Shelman to tie the score late in the first quarter.

Max Larreur kicked a 32-yard field goal early in the second quarter to give Fishers a 10-7 lead. On the Bears' next possession,

Rob Davis fumbled and Halstead recovered for the Tigers at the Lawrence Central 34-yard line. Eric Davis took advantage with a 2-yard touchdown run to push Fishers' lead to 17-7.

Lawrence Central threatened late in the first half, but Vladimir Cardenas' 40-yard field-goal attempt hit the crossbar and failed as the half concluded.

Roberson finally broke loose of the first possession of the second half. His 41-yard touchdown run cut Fishers' lead to 17-13.

The teams then traded turnovers. Slaughter fumbled after a catch and Lawrence Central's Arlonzo Scott recovered. But Orris intercepted a pass by Roberson on the next play and returned it 45 yards to the Bears' 16. Orris then completed a 24-yard touchdown pass to Slaughter to give the Tigers a 24-13 lead.

Fishers was forced into a fourth down near midfield, but Hauser ran a fake punt five yards for a first down. Two plays later, Orris completed a screen pass to Max Leamer, and he turned it into a 34-yard touchdown to give Fishers a 31-13 lead.

Roberson scored on a 14-yard run after his protection broke down, but the two-point conversion failed, and the Bears trailed 31-19 with 7:58 to play.

Fishers responded again. Orris completed a pass to Slaughter, and he fumbled while trying to stretch the ball over the goal line. Hauser recovered the ball in the end zone to give his team a 38-19 lead with 5:15 to play.

Fittingly, Roberson was sacked by Jordan Ninde on the final play of the game.

"The whole key is you have to have a bigger heart," Halstead said. "It doesn't matter about your size, it's just how much heart you have."