The Aberdeen Wings will play Coulee Region in Onalaska, Wis., at 7 tonight and 7 p.m. Saturday. Here is the Central Division
of the North American Hockey League standings:
GP W L OTPts GF GA BismarckÉ32 26 5 1 53 132 76 AlexandriaÉ31 19 10 2 40 99 82 AustinÉ32 18 11 3 39 99 81 AberdeenÉ33 16 14 3 35 96 100 MinotÉ34 4 28 2 10 62 144 NOTE: Two points for a win, one point for overtime loss.
Former University of South Dakota football coach Ed Meierkort is one of six finalists for the head job at NCAA Division II Colorado Mesa University.
Meierkort coached USD for eight seasons before getting fired, going 54-35, earning a win over Minnesota and guiding the Coyotes from NCAA Division II to the Football Championship Subdivision level. The other finalists:
· Pat Behrns was the winningest head coach in Nebraska-Omaha history (130-68) before UNO discontinued its football program this past March.
· Steve Ryan is the current head coach at Morningside (Iowa) College.
· Russ Martin has spent the last eight seasons as offensive coordinator at Nebraska-Kearney, and had served as the head coach at Black Hills State from 1996-2000.
· Matt Entz has spent the last two seasons as the defensive line coach at Northern Iowa, and has also been an assistant at Wayne (Neb.) State.
· Colorado State assistant Dan Hammerschmidt.
NSU promotes family
Northern State basketball fans can take advantage of a Family Pack promotion for games this weekend.
The Family Pack, which must be purchased prior to the game and will not be sold at the gate on game days, includes two adult and two student/children tickets along with four small hot dogs and four drinks for $30. Packets can be purchased at the NSU Foundation office, Ken's SuperFair Foods or the Wolf Stop convenience store. The family packs will be honored at either Saturday's doubleheader against Minnesota-Crookston or Sunday's doubleheader against Minnesota State, Moorhead. Game times are 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. for Saturday, and 2 and 4 p.m. on Sunday.
DWU adds another Kernel
Mitchell senior Matt Henriksen will join classmate and teammate Jade Miller on the Dakota Wesleyan men's basketball next fall. The 6-foot-1 guard Henriksen is in his second year as a starter for the Kernels.
Valley City to host
Valley City State will host the Dakota Athletic Conference basketball tourney Jan. 21-22.