Sarah Dussault / Sun Sentinel
April 2, 2013
• 3 / 4 cups uncooked penne pasta
• Salt, to taste
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 / 2 medium red onion, roughly chopped
• 2 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1 / 2 inch pieces
• 6 pitted kalamata olives
• 6 pitted green olives
• 1 tablespoon capers
• 1 tablespoon chopped jarred roasted red peppers
• 1 small plum tomato, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, chopped
• 1 / 2 cup balsamic vinegar
• 1 tablespoon fine-chopped cilantro
Cook the penne in a large pot of boiling salted water 5 to 8 minutes until al dente. Drain and run under cold water. Set aside.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onions and cook until they begin to sizzle. Then add the chicken and cook, stirring constantly, until it turns white on all sides, but is not yet cooked all the way through.
Add the olives, capers, peppers, tomatoes and garlic; saute 3 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar and cook until the vinegar reduces into a thick glaze and the chicken is cooked through. Add the pasta, toss and cook until heated through. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve. Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 376 calories, 33 percent calories from fat, 14 grams total fat, 2 grams saturated fat, 94 milligrams cholesterol, 23 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams total fiber, 6 grams total sugars, 21 grams net carbs, 38 grams protein, 396 milligrams sodium.