The shooting spree at a Connecticut elementary school last week that left 20 children dead has triggered a wave of phony threats at district schools, officials said Thursday.
“They’re up and down the coast,” said Nat Harrington, spokesperson for the Palm Beach County school district. “Practically every school district that we know about has these rumors.”
In Broward, the Davie Police Department Wednesday said they were investigating a report that a student could possibly bring a weapon to school Friday.
But in a statement later that day, the Broward school district said no substantive information had been found “to give credibility to any of these threats.”
Marsy Smith, a spokesperson for the district, said these, too, were unfounded.
“The two schools, like others around the country, are dealing with rumors of threats against the schools. Although each is taken seriously and checked out, nothing has been found that would indicate that any threat is credible,” Smith said.
Harrington said Palm Beach County was also dealing with rumors of fights and threats against certain schools that were circulating in social media networks like Facebook. But so far, he said, “there’s no evidence of anything substantial.”
“We just think students are being kids,” Harrington said, adding that the district is taking every threat seriously and working with local law enforcement.
He assured parents that should there be any evidence of an actual threat, they will be notified.
“At this point they are rumors, nothing has been founded, no evidence,” he said.
Both districts this week amped up the police presence at the schools, adding officers from local municipalities and other law enforcement agencies. Neither district, though, said whether these measures would continue when school resumed after winter break.
Gov. Rick Scott asked the state to observe a moment of silence Friday at 9:30 a.m. to honor the victims of the Connecticut school massacre.
firstname.lastname@example.org or 954-747-3033, Twitter: @karen_yi