Friday June 7 is National Doughnut Day. While it's easy to assume this billowy sweet treat is an all-American concoction, some food historians credit the Dutch, others German bakers and other research links them to Central Europe. Krispy Kreme, Dunkin’ Donuts and Winn-Dixie bakeries will be honoring June 7 with free doughnuts. And while their products are fab, I thought it was great time to give a little shout out to the Top 5 local independent bakeries who do wonders with a deep fryer and round blobs of dough:
- Bakery Plus, 915 E. Michigan St., Orlando; 407-849-1888: Fluffy yeasty roll heaven.
- Coqui Snacks & Mini Doughnuts, 3018 Lions Court, Kissimmee; 407-846-4126; coquisnacks.com: A Puerto Rican gem.
- Donuts To Go II, 1400 W. First St. Sanford: Marvelous old-fashioned cake doughnuts plus great yeast treats.
- Sip n' Dip Donuts, 1001 13th St., St. Cloud; 407-892-1252; Facebook: You can get savory stuff here too, but it's National Doughnut Day -- live a little.
- The Donut King, 208 U.S. Highway 27, Minneola; 352-243-4046; thedonutking.com: This place earns the title of king, it is the best doughnut shop in Central Florida. Seriously, outrageously good.
(If you're on mobile, be sure to watch the video from National Doughnut Day in Orlando.)Copyright © 2015, CT Now