Keith Esbin, corporate executive chef of Bar Harbor Seafood and board member of the American Culinary Federation's Central Florida Chapter, has won the inaugural McCormick For Chefs Kids Recipe Contest. His winning recipe was Boston Lobster Feast's Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti Squash, which was made to fall into healthy guidelines for the McCormick Healthful Kids' Menu Options and the National Restaurant Association's Kids Live Well Program. For winning, Chef Keith received an all expenses paid trip to the National Restaurant Association Show in Chicago and a $1500 cash prize awarded at a special event on the main World Culinary Showcase stage by Marc Murphy (celebrity chef and Chopped judge) and Dawn Sweeny (CEO of the National Restaurant Association).
Chicken Parmesan With Spaghetti Squash
By Keith R. Esbin, Corporate Executive Chef Bar Harbor Seafood Corporation, Boston Lobster Feast Restaurants
1 medium spaghetti squash
6 (3-4 ounce) chicken breasts
2 ounces all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
2 eggs whites
6 ounces Panko breadcrumbs
1 ounce fat-free Parmesan cheese, grated or shredded
1 teaspoon dry Italian Seasoning
Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a mister or EVOO non stick spray
16 ounces pasta sauce
6 ounces fat-free mozzarella, shredded or sliced
18 ounces of your favorite vegetables, steamed
1. Cut squash in half, scoop out the seeds and lay face down (rind side up) in a shallow baking pan. Add 1 cup of water and place in 375 degree oven for 45 minutes. (You can also boil for 20 minutes or microwave for 8-10 minutes) Combine in a small dish the All Purpose Flour, Black Pepper, and Granulated Garlic.
2. In another dish have the 2 egg whites added with 2 tablespoons of water, then a third dish or piece of wax paper that has the Panko Breadcrumbs, Parmesan Cheese and Italian Seasoning.
3. Take each Chicken Breast and dredge through the flour, dip into the egg wash and then coat well with the breadcrumb mixture. Spray each Chicken Cutlet with the EVOO mister or Non-Stick Spray, place on a flat pan, and put into the oven for 10 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and spoon 2 oz Pasta Sauce and place 1 slice or 3/4 oz shredded Mozzarella Cheese onto each Chicken Cutlet. Place back into the oven for another 5 minutes. (Try to time this so the Chicken and Spaghetti Squash will be ready to come out at the same time.)
5. When ready, Remove squash from the oven. Using a spoon, scoop lengthwise the contents. They will fall out like strands of spaghetti. Place 1 Chicken Cutlet on each plate, divide the Spaghetti Squash between each family members plates and place some pasta sauce on top then garnish with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
6. Also serve with the steamed vegetables.Copyright © 2015, CT Now