The lender will check your credit scores and outstanding debt levels right before closing. If the balances are too high, you could undermine your deal. Don't run up your credit balances on furniture and moving expenses.
A week before your close:
• Confirm that your down payment is in an account against which you can draw a cashier's check or make an electronic transfer.
• Confirm that your property insurance, title insurance and other policies are in order.
• Coordinate with the seller to have all utilities switched to your name.
• Ensure the seller is on track to move out as agreed.
• Arrange child and pet care for the day of closing.
• Keep all key documents in a portable lockbox, and move them by hand so they are not inadvertantly packed or stored.
• Make sure you have plenty of cash on hand for last minute out-of-pocket payments, such as parking fees.