Attorneys for Casey Anthony have asked her Chapter 7 bankruptcy judge to prevent her from having to answer the questions of a woman suing her for defamation, Zenaida Gonzalez.
Gonzalez's attorneys scheduled Anthony for a deposition on Wednesday. But in a new motion, Anthony's attorneys argue the question-and-answer session shouldn't take place.
Referring to Gonzalez as a "principal orchestrator of the media circus," her lawyers write that Gonzalez's claim lacks merit, and the deposition was scheduled without their consultation.
"Gonzalez has used a lawsuit... as a platform for publicity and other purposes ulterior to and detrimental to the judicial process," the motion states.
The motion also says that, if the deposition is allowed to move forward, Anthony would decline to answer questions about her daughter's death, citing her Fifth Amendment rights.
Gonzalez's attorney Matt Morgan, after announcing the deposition last month, said Anthony would not be able to use those protections, because the appeals from her criminal case have been fully resolved.
"We look forward to getting answers to the questions we have had for a very long time," Morgan told the Orlando Sentinel.
Anthony was charged with murder in the 2008 death of her daughter, 2-year-old Caylee, but was acquitted of all major charges at trial in 2011.
She has been living in hiding ever since.
In the new motion, Anthony's lawyers ask, if the judge decides to allow the deposition, for their client to be allowed to appear via video stream from an undisclosed location.
Gonzalez sued after Anthony claimed a similarly named nanny kidnapped Caylee. Investigators determined that the nanny didn't exist, but not before Gonzalez was linked to the case.
Anthony filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in January. Gonzalez's lawyers filed a federal complaint in July, arguing that the defamation suit should survive Anthony's bankruptcy.
email@example.com or 407-420-5171