How to protect elderly loved ones

•Stay in contact with neighbors and friends who see your family member regularly.

•Ask for the name and number of your relative's primary-care doctor — and permission to discuss his or her health.

•If you need a referral to elder services, call the 211 United Way help line or 1-800-963-5337, operated by the Florida Department of Elder Affairs.

•If you suspect abuse, call the Florida Department of Children and Families at 1-800-962-2873 or your local police department or sheriff's office.

Other resources:



• to research assisted-living facilities or nursing homes

Source: Florida Department of Children and Families

Copyright © 2018, CT Now