by Joyce Allen, Florida Lighthouse Association
January 5, 2009
CAPE CANAVERAL LIGHTHOUSE - Cape Canaveral, FL
- Active: Yes
- Characteristics: 2 flashes in 5 seconds followed by a
15 second eclipse.
- Height: 145 feet, 179 steps
- History: Constructed in 1848 and 1868. First Lighted:
1848; May 10,1868; July 25, 1894. In the late 1890's, it was
moved to a site one mile inland because of shoreline
- Lens: Original: 15-lamps with 23-inch reflectors
(1848); first-order Fresnel lens (1868). Present: one DCB-224
roating searchlight. Focal Plane: 155 feet.
- Other Buildings: Oil storage house.
- 28 27 37 N
- 80 32 36 W
- Operated by: United States Air Force
- Visit Status: No Access
- Visitor Info: This lighthouse is one of the most
highly restricted lighthouses in the nation, being on Air Force
restricted property, on a secured Air Force Base, and still
partially under the Coast Guard.