New enrollment records also were set for IU students at five campuses: IU Bloomington, IU East, Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne, IU Northwest and IU Southeast.
Total enrollment, including all students at the seven IU-administered campuses and IU students at IPFW, was 110,436, up 0.9 percent from the previous record set in fall 2010. This is the fourth consecutive fall that total enrollment at IU has topped the 100,000 mark.
Students were enrolled in 1,282,090.8 credit hours, a 0.4 percent increase from last year's record.
Enrollment increased at six of the eight campuses, with the strongest percentage increases at IU East and IU Kokomo. Enrollment was steady at IUPUI and declined slightly at IU South Bend.
"Our record enrollment figures across the university and at most of our campuses are just the latest evidence that more and more families are finding value in an Indiana University education,'' said IU President Michael A. McRobbie. "In addition to setting new marks for enrollment, we are welcoming one of the strongest freshmen classes in the university's history, which includes a greater share of Indiana's top high school graduates than ever before. Increasingly, these students are benefiting from generous financial aid packages that are keeping the net cost of attendance affordable compared to our peer universities."
Census figures, used in official university reports, record the number of students enrolled and the number of credit hours they are taking as of one week after the first day of the semester.
Classes began Aug. 22 at IUPUI, IU Kokomo and IPFW and Aug. 29 at IU Bloomington, IU East, IU Northwest, IU Southeast and IU South Bend.
Campus figures include:
• IU Bloomington -- Enrollment was 42,731, up 0.6 from last year; credit hours were 570,177.5, up 0.5 percent.
• IUPUI -- Enrollment was 30,530, down 0.1 percent; credit hours were 345,928.3, up 0.2 percent.
• IU East -- Enrollment was 3,725, up 10.7 percent; credit hours were 36,590.5, up 9.5 percent.
• IPFW -- Enrollment (IU students only) was 8,456, up 3.1 percent; credit hours were 81,175, down 1.5 percent.
• IU Kokomo -- Enrollment was 3,318, up 6.7 percent; credit hours were 32,394, up 6.2 percent.
• IU Northwest -- Enrollment was 6,035, up 1.1 percent; credit hours were 61,565, down 0.5 percent.
• IU South Bend -- Enrollment was 8,385, down 2.4 percent; credit hours were 80,420, down 3.5 percent.
• IU Southeast -- Enrollment was 7,256, up 1.1 percent; credit hours were 73,840.5, up 0.7 percent.