Police give details on device taken from youth at LaPorte fair
WSBT photo (July 16, 2013)
LAPORTE — An explosive device made of sparklers might sound harmless but it can be powerful enough to injure or even kill people, according to LaPorte County Police.
Police revealed that the homemade device confiscated from a 16-year-old’s backpack at the LaPorte County Fair last week was shaped like a brick and is commonly referred to as a “sparkler bomb.”
“It can be deadly,” said LaPorte County Police Chief of Detectives Pat Cicero.
Two 16-year-old boys were still being held in the LaPorte County Juvenile Services Center on suspicion of possession of a destructive device and manufacture of a destructive device, both Class C felonies, said LaPorte County Prosecutor Bob Szilagyi.
Szilagyi said they are being held pending a decision by a juvenile court magistrate on whether sufficient evidence exists to bring charges in court against the LaPorte area teens.
Szilagyi said the charges do not quality for an automatic waiver of the case into adult court where they each would face the possibility of two to eight years in prison.
Any waiver of the case into adult court would be made by Nancy Gettinger, the LaPorte Circuit Court Juvenile Court Magistrate.
Prosecutors would first have to petition the court for a waiver based on factors such as the seriousness of the crime and if the juveniles have a prior arrest record.
“It depends on the severity of the case,” said Szilagyi.
A third teen was also taken into custody at the fair night, police said, when he interfered with the arrest of the youth carrying the explosives.