QUEENS (WPIX)—The Parks Department sent a number of crews Monday to the area hardest hit by a storm that ripped through Queens and Brooklyn 10 days ago. PIX 11 News broadcast live from a local park in Queens on Friday night.
Neighbors had been wondering why trees were still down in Juniper Valley Park and blocking sidewalks and parking spaces around Middle Village.
PIX 11 News reporter Greg Mocker checked three areas in the park and all were clear of debris Monday morning. He counted a dozen Cherry Pickers and chippers. A number of workers from Lewis Tree Service, which is based in Rochester, arrived in the morning from Cleveland.
A Parks Department spokesman says the company started working in Queens on September 18th.
"Lewis Tree Service has an existing as-needed emergency tree removal and pruning contract with Parks," says Phil Abramson. "It was competitively bid out a couple of years ago. They have trucks which they pulled in from all over the NY region - not only Rochester."
A crew from the New York City Department of Environmental Protection was also cutting up fallen trees and limbs.
A spokesman for Mayor Bloomberg today says, "We have added more contracts in an effort to clean up more debris."
Last week, the mayor defended his decision not to re-visit the area. He said work was progressing.
Official signs were hanging on the side of the vehicles: "THE HONORABLE MICHAEL R. BLOOMBERG, MAYOR EMERGENCY TREE SERVICES BY CONTRACT FOR THE CITY OF NY PARKS & RECREATION www.nyc.gov/parks ADRIAN BENEPE, COMMISSIONER"