Five young men were arrested Wednesday morning in connection to a shooting that left two teenagers injured - one critically - in the Morrisania section of the Bronx.

The men were taken into custody and questioned Tuesday at the 42nd Precinct at 830 Washington Avenue in Melrose, police said.

Carvette Gentile, 16, of the Bronx has been identified as the shooter. Bronx residents Rohan Francis, 18; Clivie Smith, 19; Dwayne Taylor, 23, and Manhattan resident Cleve Smith, 20 were also arrested.

All are charged with attempted murder, assault with intent to cause serious injury with a weapon, and criminal use of a firearm in the first degree.

According to police, the suspects opened fire on the teens in broad daylight Monday afternoon. Police say the 15-year-old victim, Vada Vasquez, was on her way home from the Bronx Latin School at 3:45 p.m. when she stumbled upon a confrontation on the corner of Home Street and Prospect Ave.

Vasquez was shot in the head and was rushed to Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center, where she underwent surgery and is currently in a medically-induced coma.

She is "sedated and on a ventilator," according to hospital spokeswoman Renelda H. Walker.

Doctors told the family Vasquez may suffer memory loss and speech problems.

Police say 19-year-old Tyrone Creighton, who was also gunned down, was the intended target of the shooting.

Creighton told police he was leaving an area bodega when he was confronted by five people. Two of them were armed with handguns and two were on bicycles.

He pushed away one of the armed suspects and as he fled across Home Street, where Vasquez was talking to friends, he was shot in the torso and leg.

NYPD Spokesman Paul J. Browne said Creighton may have been targeted because enemies of his two brothers, who are prisoners on Riker's Island, believe they were behind the beating of another prisoner. The shooting may have been an act of revenge.

"Detectives are investigating information circulating in the neighborhood that the wounding of the 19-year-old victim was in retaliation for an incident at Rikers involving his relatives," said Police Commissioner Ray Kelly.

Creighton was also rushed to Lincoln Hospital where he is listed in stable condition and is expected to survive.

He is cooperating with detectives on the case.

Less than five hours later after the teenagers were shot on Monday, more gunfire rang out just 1.5 miles north from the scene.

It occurred at 8:30 p.m. near 2000 Prospect Avenue in Belmont.

One man was transported to St. Barnabas Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Another man, 42, was taken to the same hospital and listed in critical condition.

A woman, 58, arrived at Lincoln Hospital on her own with a gunshot wound to her leg. She is listed in stable condition.

The motive for this shooting has not been determined yet. The names of the victims were not immediately known.

No arrests have been made in either shootings as police continue their investigation.

"This madness is getting out of hand and if we don't come up with a plan now, we are on the verge of seeing young black and Hispanic children become extinct," said Community Advocate Anthony Herbert of the Urban Community Council.

Community leaders from four boroughs - including Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx and Manhattan (Harlem) gathered in the Bronx Tuesday morning to protest Monday's round of gun violence.

Hundreds of people attended a candlelight vigil for Vasquez in Mott Haven Tuesday evening.