BROOKLYN (WPIX)—The PIX11 Morning News continues PIX11 Cares, a campaign aimed at helping those in communities hardest hit by Hurricane Sandy, with a visit to Brooklyn. Sukanya Krishnan anchoring portions of the Morning News from Gerritsen Beach, Dan Mannarino reporting live from Red Hook and Lisa Mateo reporting from Coney Island from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m.
In Gerritsen Beach, Sukanya will be speaking Marty Markowitz, Brooklyn Borough President, State Senator Martin Golden, Council Member Domenic Recchia Jr., Steve Cassidy, President of the Uniformed Firefighters Association, Loretta Worters from the Insurance Information Institute and several residents from the area.
- PIX11 Cares: WPIX Visits Long Island to Help Hurricane Sandy Victims
- PIX11 Cares: WPIX Visits New Jersey to Help Hurricane Sandy Victims
- Ames True Temper Donates Tools To PIX11 Cares Relief Effort
- PIX 11 Cares: Send Us Photos of the Aftermath of Superstorm Sandy
- Hurricane Sandy (2012)
- Hurricanes and Tropical Storms
- Natural Disasters
See more topics »
In Red Hook, Dan Mannarino will speak with community activists.
In Gerritsen Beach, Nautica will be generously donating pajamas and robes, and the Dunkin Donuts Studio on the Run bus will be onsite with coffee and donuts for residents. In Coney Island, Kids for Less will generously donate children's clothing
In recent weeks, PIX11 Cares has broadcast live from Queens, NY (Broad Channel, Breezy Point and the Rockaways) Staten Island, NY (New Dorp Beach), New Jersey (Union Beach, Sea Bright and Norwood) and Long Island (Long Beach, Lindenhurst and Seaford) to help bring attention to areas severely affected by Hurricane Sandy.
PIX11 has also partnered with the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation, which kicked off the Tunnel to Towers: Hurricane Relief Fund campaign on Friday with the assistance of New York sports icons Carl Banks, Robinson Cano, and John Franco to provide relief to those impacted by Hurricane Sandy. One hundred percent of the gross funds benefit those affected by Hurricane Sandy.
PIX11 viewers wishing to contribute to the Tunnel to Towers: Hurricane Relief Fund can do so to via: tunneltotowersfoundation.org
Here are other ways to help:
- Give directly to The Red Cross.
- Visit PIX 11's resources page for many ideas on how to help.
- Gerritsen Beach Sandy Relief Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/GBSandyRelief
- New York City Firefighters Disaster Relief Fund Inc. (helps those hundreds of FDNY first responders who suffered catastrophic damage and now need to rebuild their lives and homes): www.NYCFDDR.org