By STEPHANIE BARISH
3:33 PM EDT, June 26, 2009
LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y. (WPIX)
Both fires at the $1 million, unoccupied two-story home located in Lake Success, were deemed accidental and seemed to have been caused by construction work. No one was hurt in either fire.
Flames first broke out at the home Tuesday night and, according to Nassau fire marshal Michael Mennello, it started when polyurethane flames from a freshly coated wood floor were ignited by an air conditioning system. Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames in about an hour. The fire caused extreme damage to the home's attic and roof.
The second blaze, on Wednesday night, was apparently caused when plastic bags filled with sawdust spontaneously combusted. Mennello said the temperature in the home was elevated from the first fire and may have played a major role in the blaze. It took fire officials about 20 minutes to douse the flames and minimal damage was reported.
The home was sold earlier this year to a Great Neck man for $1.14 million. He could not be reached for comment.
Copyright © 2014, WPIX-TV, New York