QUEENS, N.Y. (PIX11)—It appears a malfunctioning space heater lead to the deaths of a father and son from carbon monoxide Saturday in their Ozone Park home.
That's according to New York 1, which is also reporting there was a carbon monoxide detector, but the batteries were not working.
Police have identified the victims as Kuo-Kung Chen, 66, and Aaron Chen, 29, both of 84-9 101th Ave. The station also reports the family dog, "Mocha" nearly died, but is expected to be OK.
PIX11 has learned Chen and his son were expected at his daughter's house, and when they didn't show up, she became worried. She went to the house, and that's when she found her father and brother dead.
Another person was taken to a nearby hospital and is reportedly in serious condition.
Detectives found no sign of criminality; the New York City Police Department is waiting for the Medical Examiner's Office to finish the autopsies, before making the official cause of death public.
Carbon monoxide (CO) -- also called carbonous oxide -- is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas, slightly lighter than air. It can be toxic to humans and animals when encountered in higher concentrations.
Additional Reporting By Francesca Maxime