Cave Spring is moving on to the state championship game. The Knights knocked off Fluvanna County, 76-59, in the boys AA Division 3 semifinals. Cave Spring's Amin Abuhawwas had a game-high 20 points. Cave Spring led Fluvanna County, 29-27, at halftime. Abuhawwas had 20 of Cave Spring's 29 points in the first half. The Knights will take on Brunswick for the state championship at 1 p.m. Saturday.
Rockbridge County trailed by 17 at one point against Brunswick in the other Division 3 Semifinal but the Wildcats rallied to tie it and force overtime tied at 56. Andrew Rowsey scored 34 points in the game, including 26 in the second half. But Brunswick got the lead and held on at the free throw line for the 64 to 59 win, advancing to face Cave Spring.
Christiansburg took on Potomac Falls in a rematch of last year's Division 4 Semifinal won by the Panthers. It was tied 24-all at halftime and Potomac Falls had control with a five point lead late in the third quarter. But back to back three pointers from Dee Kelly and Brendan Motley rallied the Blue Demons who pulled away for the relatively easy 66 to 52 win, advancing to the title game for the first time in history.
The semifinals of the Virginia High School League basketball championships get started Tuesday.
There are several teams competing for state titles.
WDBJ7's Karen Loftus is in Richmond and will be providing updates from the games.
All of the games are being played at Virginia Commonwealth University's Siegel Center.
Check back throughout the day for updates.
Here is the schedule of local teams playing by day:
- Cave Spring 76, Fluvana County 59
- Brunswick 64, Rockbridge County 59
Carroll County 31, Millbrook 65 girls
- Christiansburg 66, Potomac Falls 52
- Salem vs. Courtland, 10:30 a.m. (girls, AA Division 4)
- Heritage-Lynchburg vs. Grafton, 12:15 p.m. (boys, AA Division 4)
- Covington vs. Altavista, 3 p.m. (girls, A Division 1)
- Galax vs. Charles City, 5 p.m. (boys, A Division 1)
- Glenvar vs. George Mason, 8:45 p.m. (girls, A Division 2)
Here are the full brackets:
AAA Boys semifinals
- Petersburg vs. Kecoughtan, 3:45 p.m. Wednesday
- Hampton vs. Henrico, 8:45 p.m. Wednesday
- Championship game 9 p.m. Friday
AA Division 4 Boys semifinals
- Christiansburg vs. Potomac Falls, Tuesday 9 p.m.
- Heritage-Lynchburg vs. Grafton, 12:15 p.m. Wednesday
- Championship game at 9 p.m. Saturday
AA Division Division 3 Boys semifinals