The Huntington Beach Fire Department responded to a fire in a three-story apartment building at 8102 Ellis Ave. on Saturday, according to a news release.

The fire started on the stove top of a third-floor kitchen and was extinguished by the building's sprinkler system. Residents were evacuating the building when the first fire engine responded at 7:40 a.m.

One minor injury was reported, but the victim was not transported to a hospital.

The sprinklers caused significant water damage in the building, including the first and second floors, according to the release.

Ten units were damaged and at least five residents were displaced. Damage to the building is estimated at $60,000, the release said.

The Red Cross assisted some displaced residents, and others were relocated to other units in the building.

HBFD crews worked to make sure the fire did not spread and handled ventilation efforts to clear the smoke.

—Beau Nicolette